After repeated and failed attempts in the years 1890-1907 to identify indestulating springs in the canvas in the Izvoru Barzi - Malovat area, the water supply solution of the city was reached with the Danube water. Thus, on August 9, 1907, the communal council decided that the mayor of the city, along with the counselor Igirosanu, would go on to inform on the spot on the Danube water supply of the towns of Braila, Galati and Sulina. The favorable and well-established report was presented in 1908. The Drinking Water Supply Project of Turnu Severin, elaborated by the engineer Elie Radu at the Ministry of Public Works, consisting of 13 written pieces and 19 pieces drawn and approved by the Technical Council Superior, was sent to the Mayor of the city on March 21, 1909.
In April 1909, following the studies conducted by ing. Elie Radu, the Severin city administration decided on this solution.
The basic principle of the project is "Danube water, decanted, filtered and sterilized with ozone." The basics of the system were to be a capture station located upstream of the city, outside its contaminated area, the water plant destined to decant, filter and sterilize with ozone and the water castle, designed to make the distribution and designed be built of reinforced concrete and organized in the interior with two superimposed tanks, each serving a distinct part of the city.
Installations were provided for a distributed water quantity of 40,000 m.c. / day, respectively 200 l per capita. The water was taken from the Danube upstream and out of the contaminated area of the city, using a 30 cm diameter steel pipe. Aspiration and discharge of the water thus captured was done by means of a centrifugal pump set in an underground resort near the Danube bank, the suction height was 4 m and the discharge height was 40 m. At this facility and at a distance of 1,300 m, were found the uncovered settling basins (respectively on the plateau near the Cavaleria barracks). The decanting was done at a low speed, with the water remaining for three days in each basin. Three of the pools were in operation, the fourth serving as backup. By gravity, the water basins were passed through filters consisting of a layer of siliceous sand resting on a very permeable concrete slab, which was supported in turn, on concrete bricks that allowed drainage of water on the bottom of the filter. The capacity of the filters was determined based on a velocity of 4 m.c. water per square meter filter per day. Three filters were in operation, a fourth was empty. Filtered water was collected in a collecting chamber and had a hardness of 6 8 and was not sterile. Sterilization was done in a Otto ozone system. The water from the filters was gravitated to ozonation in a reservoir of 300 m.c. from this reservoir the water was drained through a 2,200 m (30 cm diameter) pipe in the city's 44-meter water castle above the reservoir.
The water castle was built of reinforced concrete with two superimposed tanks (with a total capacity of 1,025 m), each serving a special area of the city. The distribution network was divided into two areas fed separately. All ozone and pumping installations were doubled. The electrical energy required for the engines, pumps, ozonisation and lighting of the installations was produced in a plant located near the ozone station. It comprised two generating sets (one of which reserve), each consisting of a 200-horsepower Diesel engine and a three-phase alternator under 2,000 watts. At the Superior Technical Council this project was endorsed by engineers A. Saligny, C.M. Mironescu, Al. Coltescu and E. Balaban.
The auction for the May 6th, 1910, was held at the request of the interested companies on 28 June 1910. The paper was auctioned by "P.P. Andreescu and Sons "in Craiova, who through the contract concluded on July 31, 1910 committed to accomplish within the first two years the first group of works, namely the capture of Danube water, the settling basins, the water castle, the power station and pumping station, the pipelines, the city pipeline network, the cars and the related electrical installations, the engineer Elie Radu being hired to supervise and conduct the works. The solemnity of the work was set for 17 October 1910 at 9 am.
Although some finishing works have not been carried out (among them and outside the water castle), the water supply works of Turnu Severin were received on behalf of the city by the municipal authorities of the city in autumn 1915.
The entire construction was paid with a loan contracted by the City Hall to the House and County Credit House.
The official opening took place on 17 September 1910 in the presence of Prime Minister I.I.C. Bratianu, of Al. Constantinescu and V.Gh.Mortun, Bishop Gennady of Ramnic-Nouvel Severin and local officials.
The construction was carried out under the direct direction of ing. Petre Ciocalteu, chief of the Mehedinti County Technical Service, supervised by the project's engineer Elie Radu.
Castle work began later than the rest of the system's components. In March 1911, his location was fixed, in fact mentioned, a fact unaccounted for by part of the urban community. A group of inhabitants submitted to the interim commission of the city a memo requesting the abandonment of this plan on the grounds of intact preservation of the configuration of the place where the primary schools were located no. 3 girls and boys, so the whole market remains with free prospects towards Crihala. The argument was pertinent, but this assemblage coincided with the highest elevation in the city (104 m), and therefore the most advantageous option for water distribution in all areas of the city.
The water castle is 27 meters tall and was at one time the tallest building in our city. The exterior has remained unfinished, as it is today, the medieval style and the patina of time accentuating its personality. In 1915, at its base, near the entrance, was placed an inscription with the memory of the moment of fixation of the fundamental stone and the closure, in general, with the honesty of the designers of the project. The imposing castle was "given" by the King Carol I to the Severin inhabitants.
During the First World War, the Castle served as a point of observation for the German army, thanks to the four turrets, originally built to be used by firemen.
With the development of the city, the castle's storage capacity becomes inadequate and the problem of building the third basin with a mc capacity is built. It is built in 1964 and is located in the bridge over the last concrete slab of the building.
When the construction was completed, there was an operator in the castle who manually supervised the water level in the ponds, not to spill if they were filling up. The water is filtered out at the water plant at the airport. In 1910, her construction began. Pumps pumping water into these tanks were inside the power plant, the current electrical plant. From there, the water was pumped into the reservoirs at the basin, it was guided by two bars, respectively from the exit to the south and the north to the houses in the municipality.
In 1980 the Water Castle loses its utility, the basins are emptied and is used as offices and workshops for the company that administers water supply and sewerage. The ground floor hosted the offices of the Water-Channel Networks section, and on the first floor were the locker rooms of the workers. In the 1970s, the waterworks expanded when the first blocks appeared, and two larger tanks of 2,500 cubic meters each were built and a period of time worked in parallel. In 1985, a second extension of the water supply was made, two more tanks of 10,000 cubic meters were built and the water supply with the castle was dropped.
The passage of time and the growth of the city did not invalidate the essential function of the castle, through which the town gained the civilization outfit. Today, however, when the water distribution is provided to the capabilities required by another system, the Water Castle can gain a new functionality: a sui generis Eiffel Tower of the city.
Due to its importance in community life, central location and outstanding architectural features, the local community adopts the Water Castle as the most important symbol of the city. Water Castle - located on the coat of arms of Drobeta Turnu Severin, a sentimental landmark for generations will be introduced into the tourist circuit of Mehedinti County.
. Moreover, starting with 2012, the Water Castle will quench the culture of the inhabitants by adapting, modernizing and transforming the technological spaces in cultural spaces, the results of the project "Modernizing and Conserving of the Water Castle".